Friday, March 27, 2009

I got downsized and it got me thinking...

With the doom and gloom that the media has portrayed of late, I was not thinking that I would become a member of the unemployed statistics. I knew that the company I worked for was going to be downsizing in the near future and was helping in the planning of this in my department, not realizing that I was going to be part of that process. So it happened and it did get me thinking. A lot.

Over the past few years I had been reading up on a variety of subjects that relate to personal freedom, finance and lifestyle design. Until now most of that reading has been for learning, and I had not applied it to really make my own life better. Being in career transition has given me time to look back at all that learning and I have come to a few realizations.

First, Our society seems to be built around people believing that they have NO control over their lives. Watch the news, any news, it is built around bombarding you with: CRISIS, DEATH, DESTRUCTION, and whatever mayhem that is deemed "newsworthy". All this is followed by advertising for something that seems way cool--but is probably not a necessity to leading a happy life.

Second, Our society also seems to be built around being in debt-probably for life and that is OK. As we have seen from events over the past few months, that is not a good thing. This debt has the ability to take more control away from you and the your life--you have to work hard to pay the bills.

Third, All of this leads to less of a designed life and more of a life where you are being pulled around by the chains that society has put on you.

All these thoughts have lead me to the question: How do I move from a life that seems to be "out of my control" to a life "in my control" or more importantly a "Happy Lifestyle". So the purpose of this blog, is to explore designing a happy life.

Stay tuned for "Ending Media Overload" next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment